Tag Archives: CRM for Phones

CRM for Phones: “A primary entity column cannot have a dot in its name”

Published by:

When using the new CRM For Phones and CRM for Tablets apps against Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2015 Online Update 1, I was getting the following error.

“Sorry, something went wrong while initializing the app. Please try again, or restart the app.”

I looked into some of the standard troubleshooting steps for this one and none of them applied.

So I enabled tracing. It was a big PITA to install all 150mb of iTunes and wait for sync, but it was worth it because I found the following error in the logs.

Error Message:Microsoft.Crm.CrmInvalidOperationException: Unable to process the following entities - contact. Please try disabling the entities and try again. ---> Microsoft.Crm.CrmException: A primary entity column cannot have a dot in its name

The key being A primary entity column cannot have a dot in its name.

Because “having a dot in its name” alludes to an aliased field, I checked that my custom code didn’t contain anything odd – it didn’t. I finally found the problem in a corrupt View definition.

2015-07-27 13_36_02-View_ Contacts_ No Orders in Last 6 Months - Microsoft Dynamics CRM - Internet E

2015-07-27 14_44_14-Message from webpage

After removing the bad columns, the mobile app fired up no problem.