Monthly Archives: August 2015

Outlook Plugin: Server-Side Sync vs CRM For Outlook

Published by:

In Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2015 Online with Exchange Online, you have the option for the Outlook client to work over “Server-Side Synchronization” or “CRM for Outlook.”

Which one should you choose?

Server-side sync uses server-to-server communication and the Outlook client basically runs everything through the user’s desktop computer. Things to keep in mind:

  1. If you use the Outlook version, and a tracked event occurs such as sending an email from the web client, it won’t be processed unless, or until, Outlook is open and connected on the user’s desktop.
  2. If you user Server-Side Sync, tracking activities in Outlook can take some time. You can adjust the sync interval in Settings -> Administration -> System Settings -> Outlook to as little as one minute. This may not be a problem, but if you are planning to use the “Convert To” or “Add Connection” functions in any meaningful fashion, you’re going to have to wait for the sync to occur before you can use those buttons. They even take away the Synchronize button! Your pilot users will undoubtedly yell “why is Convert To greyed out?!?” or “why is Add Connection greyed out??”
  3. Server-Side Sync, with CRM Online 2015 Update 1, can synchronize with Exchange based on e-mail folders.

Microsoft also says Server-Side Sync can improve Outlook performance, which makes sense, but I haven’t seen such a huge difference.

Fret Not: You can have the best of both worlds.

I’ve found that if I set outbound e-mail to process by Server-Side Sync, and inbound emails and other activities via the Outlook client, when you track items in Outlook they go up to the server instantaneously, enabling the Convert To and Add Connection buttons. But you can also send email from the mobile or web apps even if your laptop is closed in your bag.

You can set this globally in Settings -> Email Configuration -> Email Configuration Settings.

2015-08-16 14_05_11-Email Configuration - Microsoft Dynamics CRM

Outlook Plugin with CRM Online & Office 365: Tracked Items Aren’t Tracked

Published by:

We recently ran across an issue when setting up CRM Online 2015 Update 1 with Office 365 Exchange Online. A user installed the Outlook plugin, and could click the Track and Set Regarding functions – even select which record it should be Regarding – but the record never made it to CRM. The original symptom wasthe “Convert To” function was grayed out no matter what we did.

The issue is that in some cases, the Email Server Profile defaults to a value that doesn’t work. Both Incoming Server Location and Outgoing Server Location need to be set to

https://outlook.office365.com/EWS/Exchange.asmx

But how? The field disappears almost immediately, and you can’t create a new form against this entity, nor can you create workflows.

So I forced it to reopen by using the F12 debugger and setting the field to be editable. For example, incomingserverlocation can be edited by opening the F12 debugger and removing the applicable clause. For example, here, you would remove the part that says disabled=”disabled” altogether. This opens up the field to be edited.

2015-08-05 14_02_04-Inspector - https___xxxxx.crm.dynamics.com_main.aspx_etc=9605&extraq

You need to do this for the three fields.

  • Autodiscover Server Location = No
  • Incoming Server Location = https://outlook.office365.com/EWS/Exchange.asmx
  • Outgoing¬†Server Location = https://outlook.office365.com/EWS/Exchange.asmx

2015-08-05 13_54_43-Email Server Profile_ Test 2 - Microsoft Dynamics CRM

Then associate your user(s) to the profile. You then need to approve them and click the Test button.

But mine came back with this error:

Email cannot be sent because the email address of the mailbox John Smith requires an approval by an Office 365 administrator. The mailbox has been disabled for sending email and the owner of the email server profile Test 2 has been notified.

Make sure the person doing the approving and testing is both an Office 365 admin and a CRM admin.

ClickDimensions: What a bug, what a bug..

Published by:

We use ClickDimensions a lot for marketing automation. It’s a pretty good tool. But today, working with their support, I came across this doozie of a bug.

I had a form that was working fine unless an option set for country was on it.

Here’s what we found – when you create a web form and map it to an option set, it will replace the substring “options” in the field name with “select”. My option set was called “new_countryoptionset” and ClickDimensions failed because internally it thought the field was called “new_countryselectet”. I recreated the field and called it “new_countrypicklist” and it worked fine.

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry. But if you are having issues with option sets in ClickDimensions keep this in mind.